The concept of smile design is to provide a smile that best suits the person, that is, natural and suitable for facial expression. Smile design increases the social confidence of the person and provides a youthful look.
The main point of smile design is interventions on teeth (such as malalignment, correction of height differences, implant procedures). For this, some basic parameters such as face shape, gums and age of the person are taken into consideration.
Although there are sub-types of smile expressions, they are divided into 3 basic groups:
- Attractive SmileNormally seen in young people, the front teeth in the attractive smile are longer than the side teeth. In the attractive smile design, the front incisors are planned to be longer than the side teeth.
- Intellectual SmileThe intellectual smile adds a more mature tone to the person. In this type of smile design, the teeth are planned in a straight line.
- Sporty SmileThe sporty smile is like the combination of an intellectual and attractive smile. It gives a sincere expression to the person. While planning the intellectual smile, the front incisors are planned to be slightly longer than the side teeth, without giving the person a very young look.
Smile Design Planning
Before planning a smile design, the patient should fully share his expectation with his physician. This is very important in terms of patient satisfaction after the procedures.
The planning of the smile design is as follows:
- Oral and dental structure of the patient is examined in detail by various methods such as radiographic examination, panoramic shooting, 3D imaging.
- The physician makes a treatment plan considering the age, gender, gingival structure, facial structure and symmetry of the patient.
- Before treatment, the finished version of the design is made into a model and shown in the patient’s mouth. Thus, necessary arrangements can be made.
Types of Treatment Applied in Smile Design
- Implant TreatmentImplant treatment involves placing an artificial tooth root (implant) in the jaw bone instead of lost teeth and placing a prosthesis on it. At the end of the treatment, the patient regains his dental functions and aesthetically improves. The duration of treatment depends on the number of implants and the health of the jawbone (half an hour to a few hours). After the implant is placed, a period of approximately 3 months is expected for the bone to fuse and the tissue to heal. During this period, the patient is fitted with a temporary prosthesis and a permanent prosthesis at the end of 3 months.
- Orthodontic TreatmentOrthodontic treatment, the lower and upper jaw and the disorders between the teeth and the jaws are corrected. The duration of treatment varies between 1.5 and 2.5 years, depending on factors such as the age of the patient, the technique used and the degree of the disorder.
- Teeth BleachingTeeth bleaching is the process performed to make the teeth that have changed color due to various reasons and look whiter in accordance with the original tooth color. Procedure does not cause pain. In case of diseases such as tooth decay, treatment is performed first and then bleaching is performed.
- Lamina Porcelain ProcedureLamina porcelain or leaf porcelain is one of the most performed aesthetic procedures because it is very close to nature and is made with very little thinning to the tooth. Lamina porcelain is bonded to the tooth after a very little thinning of 0.3-0.7 mm. The process is usually completed in 2-3 sessions. Leaf porcelains transmit light in a way close to normal teeth, their color does not change easily and they are durable.
- Zirconium Porcelain Crown ProcedureZirconium porcelain crowns are especially preferred for anterior teeth. They are preferred because of their high aesthetic properties (they look natural due to their good light transmittance), their durability, and the lack of sensitivity and health of the material. Although they seem economically costly at first, it can be said that they are more profitable in the long run.
- Pink AestheticsThey are interventions for pink aesthetic gums. The method to be applied depends on the condition of the gum.